Friday, December 11, 2009

Yoga (metaphorically speaking)

Since I first began practicing yoga in 2003, countless moments of overwhelming love and joy have filled the space of my life. Woven together with these beautiful experiences are the equally important dark moments.

My journey toward yoga (union) is like...receiving word that the beloved Master has returned and not only is He here, He is in my village. I have waited for this news my entire life! I know that one glance from Him brings total transformation, illusions dissolve and all becomes one. I must find Him.

That night, an angel appears to me in a dream and tells me that the Master wishes to see me. However, in order to find Him, I must walk alone in utter darkness to the homes of seven creatures that live on the outskirts of town. Each creature owns a piece of the map and to find the Master I must go through them. The angel gives me one final admonition - "When fear overtakes you, do not run away from the demons, but rather stand boldly before them with compassion."

I awaken terrified! I know these dreadful creatures and the guiles they possess. Collectively they are the embodiment of fear, guilt, shame, grief, deceit, illusion and attachment. How can I continue this journey? I've heard the rumors since I was a child. What if they rip me to shreds, what if I become delusional and sanity never returns?

Finally, the anxious thoughts subside, I draw in a long deep breath and place my hands over my heart. Now that I KNOW He is here, there is no turning back. My desire to see Him face to face gives me the courage to pull the covers back and step into the darkness.

Namaste'

No comments:

Post a Comment